- Managed to buy a CPU fan of the right size from a computer repair place a few blocks from my apartment and install it myself.
- However, pushing the on switch yielded absolutely no results, so I hauled the ’puter to the place where I bought the fan for diagnosis and possible repair.
- But wait! During the weekly(-ish) phone conversation with Dad, he said he’d send me a Sony Vaio that’s been sitting in a closet since he quit his last job. Better Living Through Hand-Me-Downs!
- Volunteered at the WFMU Record Fair and spent Sunday morning selling tickets (and gently informing one customer than no, handing over four $2-off-admission coupons would not get him in for free). This year I practiced restraint when cruising the dealer tables. Spoils:
Get Lost, by the Magnetic Fields — An inexplicable gap in my music collection is finally filled.
Feelin’ Kinda Patton, by Patton Oswalt — Never heard of the guy until Ratatouille, then bought Werewolves and Chocolate and fell like a lead brick.
Decksanddrumsandrockandroll, by Propellorheads— Sonofabitch, misfiled! According to iTunes this is actually The Rabbit in the Moon Remixed, Vol. 1. Such are the perils of the WFMU $1 bins.
Chamber Music Ensembles; United States Military Academy, 200 Years of Excellence, Volumes I and II, by various permutations of the U.S. Military Academy Band of West Point — The track listing which sealed the deal: “‘Londonderry Air’ — West Point Tuba Quartet.”
Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards, by Tom Waits. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen was a puppet show called “Tom Waits’ Haunted Basement,” which starred a wooden Tom Waits marionette that smoked a cigarette.
- Did anyone else see Werewolves: Dark Survivors on Animal Planet? It was a moderately interesting exercise in speculative xenobiology (what if werewolves were humans infected with a mutated, inheritable strain of rabies?) marred by the otherwise intelligent female scientist’s insistence on Tempting Fate. (JESUS CHRIST IT’S A WEREWOLF, GET IN THE CAR!)
Mingled FAIL and WIN
Thirty lucky Grubbers are getting a sneak peek of the mid-season premiere of USA Network’s “White Collar” – the show for your average, everyday,…
Due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, United Nations Offices in New York will remain closed on Wednesday, 31 October 2012. All meetings at…
Due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, United Nations offices in New York will remain closed on Tuesday, 30 October 2012. All meetings at Headquarters…